Spirts - Fabulae Romanae
Lucy + Jorge Orta, 2012
- Ref: 7000
- Materials: Filmed video performance, 29'
- Dimensions: HD video projection, 600 x 340cm
- Exhibition history: 2012 MAXXI National Museum of XXI Century Arts Rome
- Courtesy: The Artists and Ermenegildo Zegna
- Concept: Fabulae Romanae is a symbolic excursus across the city of Rome through the eyes of ten ethereal Spirits who draw from archaeological and historical research Lucy + Jorge Orta conducted in Rome and observations on the cultural and social map of the city. As the film unfolds, these contemporary sentinels silently take over the city: we encounter the Traveler under the Castel Sant'Angelo bridge and in the Trastevere back streets; the Observer overlooking the Sacro Cuore dei Monti and the Isola Tiberina; the Tunneler and the Myth Maker in the Villa Gregoriana Park; the Flying Man, Chariot Rider, Memory Man, Bale Maker… all reflected through the verses of a narrated poem written by Mario Petrucci that was commissioned by the artists for the film.
The Spirit sculptures were created by Lucy + Jorge Orta and their team at Studio Orta with the collaboration of alumni from London College of Fashion: Chloé Gayet, Mio Jin, Lara Torres, Oliver Ruuger and Sum Yu Li. The video was filmed and edited by David Bickerstaff and the still photography was conducted by Paul Bevan.
Fabulae Romanae has been made possible through ZegnaArt, a commission by Ermenegildo Zegna for MAXXI National Museum of XXI Century Arts.