Amazonia Expedition Sketchbook
Lucy + Jorge Orta, 2009-2010
- Ref: 5019
- Materials: Pencil, pigment ink, watercolour on Fabriano paper
- Dimensions: 46 x 65 x 3cm (light oak box frame)
- Exhibition history: 2011 Motive Gallery Amsterdam
- Courtesy: Courtesy of Motive Gallery Amsterdam
- Concept: The drawings Amazonia Expedition Sketchbook are a reflection on Lucy + Jorge Orta’s impressions of and responses to their rainforest expedition in 2009. The works on paper conceptualise the experience of the Amazon and their understanding of the connections between the natural environment and us. We are part of nature and the iconography in the drawings playfully depicts the mutual dependency. But in fact we are more dependent on nature than nature is on us – our presence brings about nature’s decline and human decline with it, unless we choose to change and find solutions to these local and global problems by placing us within nature, not outside of it.