Antarctic village - No Borders, expedition drawings
Lucy + Jorge Orta, 2008-2008
- Ref: 5018
- Materials: Pencil, pigment ink, water colour, fabric samples on Fabriano paper
- Dimensions: 56 x 76cm (unframed)
- Exhibition history: 2012 Tufts University Gallery, USA
- Courtesy: Courtesy of the Artists
- Concept: The drawings Amazonia Expedition Sketchbook are a reflection on Lucy + Jorge Orta’s impressions of and responses to their rainforest expedition in 2009. The works on paper conceptualise the experience of the Amazon and their understanding of the connections between the natural environment and us. We are part of nature and the iconography in the drawings playfully depicts the mutual dependency. But in fact we are more dependent on nature than nature is on us – our presence brings about nature’s decline and human decline with it, unless we choose to change and find solutions to these local and global problems by placing us within nature, not outside of it.