70 x 7 The Meal act XXIV, ArtAids, Fundació Joan Miró
Lucy + Jorge Orta, 2006-2011
- Ref: 0600.24
- Materials: Royal Limoges porcelain plate, 13 color enamel. Edition of 150 of seven designs, dated and signed by the artist
- Dimensions: 26cm diameter
- Exhibition history: 2012 Smiths Row, Bury St Edmunds, UK; 2011 Fundació Joan Miró, Barcelona, Spain
- Courtesy: ArtAids Foundation
- Concept: 70 x 7 The Meal act XXVI is the 26th act in Lucy + Jorge Orta’s ongoing banquets in support of the ArtAids Foundation, to raise public consciousness and to encourage involvement in artistic projects aimed at preventing and fighting Aids.
The artists were inspired by the work of Padre Rafael Garcia H. (1909-1990) who initiated a series of benefit banquets to set in motion a major urban social development program entitled El minuto de Dios. The artist’s base their banquets on the symbol seven, which represents infinity in numerous ancestral cultures and in particular the biblical signification ad infinitum.
On the 8th September 2011 a dinner for 77 guests was staged at the Fundació Joan Miró in Barcelona, a fragment of which was also exhibited in the exhibition You Are Not Alone.
The table on exhibition was set with 7 beautiful limited edition Royal Limoges porcelain plates each with different motifs: the artichoke is the artists' symbol of the heart; the spectrum contains contextual colours that represent specific places or events that have moved them; and the graphic measurements propose different symbolic levels to gauge social behaviour.